Spicy Lentil Casserole it said (http://www.simpleveganrecipes.co.uk/recipes/vegan-lentil-casserole-recipe.html). I am looking for both the spice and the lentils. But this can be fixed pretty easily — which I will do on my next batch.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or 2t minced garlic from a jar)
- 1lb 9oz (700g) potatoes, cut into chunks — err… I think what I ended up with was more like 4c of potatoes when measured as chunks.
- 4 carrots thickly sliced
- 2 parsnips, thickly sliced — and PEELED!
- 2T curry powder
- 1.75 pint (1 litre) vegetable stock — in other words, 3-1/2 cups
- 4oz (100g) red lentils
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped (optional) — OR 1T ground corriander
Heat 2T oil in a large pot and cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the potatoes, carrots and parsnips and cook over a high heat for 6-7 minutes, stirring until the vegetables are golden.
Stir in 2T curry powder and the stock and bring to a boil. Add the lentils, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the lentils are cooked. Add fresh coriander, or 1 tbsp ground coriander.
That is pretty straight forward, but I would do things differently the next time.
First, I approximated my own curry using strange arts of divination and insanity I can’t repeat. But what I did find was a recipe online that I would happily tweak.
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Mix well and store in an airtight container.
I would start by taking that up to 3/4t red pepper and going from there. Maybe even some spicy paprika would tune this up nicely.
Second, I would add more lentils so this was more of a lentil dish and less of a potato/parsnip dish. I would double the lentils and add another 1-1/2 cups of water or stock.
Third, I like garlic and this would benefit from the equivalent of a 3rd clove of garlic.
The adventure was small in this one, but from time to time we need a simple quest like finding a shrubbery.